The latest free public MagicWB 2.1p is available
MagicWB 2 is completely restructured on a new color-allocation scheme,
which more than doubles the speed of the Workbench and reduces chip-memory consumption to
only a third compared with all previous versions. It also features a
highly improved color palette. MagicWB 2.0 introduces a never-before-seen
standard for over four dozens of new image-drawers to achieve a more
diversified look on your workbench and to make icon searching much faster
and more intuitive. New icons, patterns, fonts and an AGA support
complete this latest release of MagicWB.
If you are interested in new versions of MagicWB read the text about the future of MagicWB.
- MagicWB is an SASG product.
- The conception of MagicWB has completely changed. Color allocation,
management and display of the patterns and the color palette have been
significantly altered and improved. It is highly recommended to update any
older MagicWB version for the new color allocation system paves the way for
all forthcoming MagicWB versions, also for the conceived 16-color-WB (of
which the realization is dependent on the amount of registrations for this
current version 2.0). Besides, many other program packages are already
supporting the new color system.
- A "demon" (a special utility) is now working in the background and watches
over the correct color palette display under any resolution, screen depth
and on any graphics board. He takes care of the palette re-allocation when
a new screen is opened and checks which patterns have to be remapped or
not (OS3.x). Furthermore the user can now define his own colors for
the text cursor without getting in conflict with the MagicWB palette.
- Due to the new color system MagicWB has become 2-3 times faster than any
previous version, nearly as fast as the original Commodore 4-color-WB! At
the same time it needs 67% less chip memory and over 50% less diskspace on
the system partition. The increase of speed is enormous. Also the
patterns are displayed much faster without getting dithered anymore.
- The MagicWB palette has been considerably improved, especially AGA- and
graphics board users will benefit from this new palette. Because of the
fine increments of the 8-bit palette (8 bits per gun) the MagicWB palette
could be optimized to the maximum of perfection. The palette is a little
bit darker now to compensate for the old imperfection to manually decrease
the black-level (brightness) of the monitor (since the old palette has
always been too bright and resulted in a loss of the 3-D-effect of
MagicWB's icons and patterns). Furthermore the gradient's 3-D-effect was
improved by increasing the difference of the brightness level between the
colors halfshine and halfshadow. This results in a strong 3-D-effect of
the brown and gray gradients. Finally, the saturation of all colors is
increased which leads to a far more vivid workbench with richer colors.
- MagicWB already offers an AGA-support: Some new patterns exploit the
possibilities of the AGA-Chipset by using the copper in a way which results
in a workbench background with a 24-bit color-gradient. This smashing
workstation-look just needs a 16-color workbench in conjunction with
MagicWB and its new utility 'MagicCopper'.
- The patterns (in a new format now) will also work under OS2.x without
having to be converted.
- A dozen of new patterns in the MagicWB-style were added: Wonderful
backgrounds like, for example, various stone structures, marble effects,
sand, paper, rain, leather and gradient logos like IntelOutside, MagicWB
- All third-party icons which were displayed in a distorted color look before
are now correctly displayed because of the new 'MagicWB-Demon'.
- 'IconUpdate' features a new and powerful workbench-mode: Old icons can now
easily be converted to MagicWB-style icons by dragging the specified icons
over an app-window and dropping them onto it (drag&drop). This guarantees
a quick processing of many icons in only a few minutes.
- MagicWB 2.0 invents a new standard for the Amiga workbench: Image-
Drawers! This provides the user with a far more diversified look of the
workbench. Each drawer gets its own specific imagery which shows the
content of the drawer. The complete 'System' partition will be equipped with
the new image-drawers when installing MagicWB 2.0. Altogether over 50
different image-drawers are being supplied with the new MagicWB. This
should be sufficient to cover all different categories. The placing of these
special drawers is carried out by the new drag&drop feature of 'IconUpdate'
that makes this task a piece-of-cake. All your partitions are set up
within minutes to achieve this refurbished and decent look on your Amiga.
- The default icons have been reworked (new trashcan, drawer etc.). New
default icons for other programs have been added (def_KingCON, def_MUI
- The device icons have been strongly improved and now do have the same
standardized height to ensure a perfect horizontal alignment on the
workbench screen. New device icons have been added (CD, Network,
- A new XEN-font was added: XEN/11. This font now features all characters
and is perfectly suitable as a fixed width system font for higher resolutions.
- New dock-brushes were added, some old dock-brushes were improved and
redesigned from scratch.
- The style of all MagicWB-Icons has been improved: The annoying blue border
has disappeared and was replaced by the color halfshadow. Many old MagicWB-Icons
have been improved and redesigned (e.g. Prefs) and various new icons have been added.
- The Installer was considerably improved. Installations and updates are
both performed by the Installer now and the system analysis is far more
- An bonus directory is included in MagicWB 2.0. It carries a couple
of MagicWB-style presets for the use with other programs and some ARexx
scripts for DOpus.
- MagicWB features a very special "trailer". It's a hidden gag! Let's see
when you will brace yourself for this smashing experience...
- Various bugfixings were applied on the different MagicWB utilities.